Friday, October 2, 2009

The fauna (and maybe later some flora) of our home

My friend Alex has been keeping an electronic record of all the critters he's seen at his home for a few years. It's pretty impressive at this point. Not living in a very woodsy area, and not knowing how long my husband and I will live here at 227F, I haven't been inspired to start one up at our place.

That is, until last night.

I opened the door to find this guy, a 5-legged preying mantis, sitting out there on our front step. Too cool. He's missing most of one of his forelegs, seems to be broken off at his right first coxa. I don't know if he will be able to successfully catch prey at this point, but we let him go after taking his photo. So, I guess we'll never know.

Thus begins our guide.

No comments:

Post a Comment